Sunday, November 2, 2014

All I Need to be Complete

“Put your hope in God, not just in external beauty, and put your hope in God, not a man.” Years ago, my wife and I went to see Jerry Maguire. There’s this scene where Renée Zellweger and Tom Cruise in the elevator and this man and women come in, and they’re kind of all over each other basically making out in the elevator. And then he backs up and he signs (he’s deaf) something to the girl, and then she kisses him. And Renée was like, “Aw!” And then she tells Tom, “He just said, ‘You complete me.’” And then if we fast forward to the end of the movie, Tom Cruise runs into this living room where there are all these really bitter, angry women. He throws down his bags and says, “I’m good in the living room. They used to always send me into the living room. I could go into the living room and close the deal, so let’s just do this. Tonight was a very big night for our little experiment. Tonight was a very big night for our little company, but it wasn’t nearly as good as it could have been. It wasn’t nearly what it could have been because you weren’t there. You complete me.” And Renée was choking back the tears going, “Shut up. You shut up. You had me at ‘Hello.’” And everybody was like, “Aw, that’s so sweet!” Everybody was like that in the theater. . .but me. That idea is a steaming pile of garbage. That idea that has woman after woman after woman on the search for a unicorn.
Matt Chandler of The Village Church, The Path - Part 7: Sanctification in Marriage 10-25-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment